Old April 5th 04, 04:14 AM
Frank Dresser

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
I was just thinking about this today. Has anybody noticed that shortwave
radio has really declined over the past five years or so? We've lost BBC
and Deutsche Welle transmissions to North America, we've lost several
smaller European broadcasters entirely, other stations have drastically
cut back. Are transmitting facilities really going on the blink so soon
after the end of the cold war? Or has everybody jumped on the BBC's
bandwagon and concluded that satellite and internet broadcasting has
replaced shortwave? Any thoughts?

It's not just the changes in the media (transmitters, satellites, the
internet), there's also less message (programs cut, languages dropped).
There's less news/propaganda money as money gets tighter.

But there's good news. There's less interference, and US domestic SW is
dominated by entertaining -- um -- characters. Not only do these characters
want to be on SW, but they're willing to pay for it with their own money.

As I see it, SW radio has never been better.

Frank Dresser