Old April 5th 04, 11:25 AM
T. Early

"Andy Gingrich" wrote in message
hi folks..

a quick intro- my name is andy and i am located in south-central
pennsylvania.

i recently purchased a
grundig yb 400 pe. this is a considerable upgrade from the

equipment that
i had been using, but nevertheless, i am not completely satisfied

with it.
i will be able to return it to the store that i purchased it at, if

need be.

i have a copy of the latest 'passport to world band radio', which

gives the
yb400pe a three star rating. basically, i am wondering if there may

be a
better radio in my price range ($150-$300 USD) (or perhaps some

sort of
aftermarket antenna) that would give me better performance in the

area i am
located in. i definitely want SSB capability.

additionally, if anyone on this list lives in the vicinity, are

there any
retailers nearby?...i'd prefer not to order online, if possible.

The standard moderate "upgrade" for that radio without breaking the
bank is the Sony 7600GR, also discussed in Passport. Depending on
where you are, I'd suggest calling the Sony outlet store in Lancaster
and asking if they have any SW radios--since Sony has been
discontinuing, they may still have some--including even a Sony SW-07
or SW-77 (more expensive). Radio Shack also sells (or used to sell)
an inexpensive longwire antenna kit that may help.