Old April 6th 04, 12:30 AM
Thibideaux

Yes, AM/FM local radio recieve, tri-band transmit (2m, 440, hf), vhf/uhf
receive (preferably 800 mhz as well) shortwave broadcast reception, and wx
etc...I am liking the Yaesu VX-7R - it has everything except hf transmit.
The 706 looks great but does it rec local am/fm?

My goal is to downsize my desk (mucho radios) to be able to take my stuff in
one case or backpack if I have to evacuate all of a sudden. Had that happen
once in a hurricane and it was not a good feeling having to leave my best
radios behind. I said 'one radio' which would be nice, but being practical,
I would take more than one if I had to leave my homestead - couldn't live
without the trunktracker, of course. And, as of yet, I don't see anyone
coming out with a King Tut radio that does it all, so I would downsize to
just what would be comfortable enough to carry. I am also liking the
backpack system for the 706...very portable and versatile. Thanks for the
comments...'

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message

hlink.net...
"Thibideaux" wrote in message
| If you wanted to downsize and buy just one radio to meet all of your
needs -
| SWLing, AM/FM, vhf/uhf receiver, and amateur radio transmitting (all
| bands) - portability and ease of operation in emergency situations -

what
| radio would you buy?

The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Right here, dude:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3450.html

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD

Nice, but doesn't fit his needs as he said AM/FM also, and I assume he
means the broadcast MW and FM bands.