Old April 7th 04, 10:23 AM
Pete KE9OA

That would be good. Another thing...............the 1uF caps that bypass
each leg of the power transformer secondary to ground are even more
effective than the .01s across each diode.

Pete

"starman" wrote in message
I was just wondering the other day whether I had added those RF bypass
caps' when I was doing the power supply mod'. I think I replaced the
discrete OEM diodes with a four diode bridge assembly but I may have
forgot the caps'. I'll take a look.

BTW- I might be able to take a picture of the power supply mod' with a
digital camera if you'd like to see how I located the parts in the
chassis.

Pete KE9OA wrote:

That sounds like a good thing to do. An improvement you can make to the
standard Drake power supply is to connect .01uF caps across each of the
diodes. Also, bypass each leg of the power transformer secondary to

ground
witha 1uF NP cap. This removes that "flourescent ballast" type of

buzzing
hash that you may hear on frequencies below 700kHz. If you have the

later
unit that tunes down to 100kHz (which I wish I had), expect much lower

noise
performance down there.

Pete

Starman wrote:

I got tired of keeping track of the wallwart for my SW8, which doesn't
fit in the Drake carry bag. The remedy was to cut open the wall wart

and
install the parts in the radio. I had to move the battery holder about
an inch to one side to make room for the transformer. It was a tight
fit. I also added a receptacle on the back which accepts a standard
computer power cord. I probably have the only SW8 with an internal AC
power supply.