Old August 15th 04, 09:19 PM
Jerry Martes

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
Hello again,

Well, surprise, surprise...the thread deviates again! Hehe.

If i may add to the discussion:

By "reciprocity", a transmit antenna can also be used as
a receive antenna, assuming you want the same polar pattern.

A mismatch on the receive side will adversely affect the signal
to noise ratio, or would increase the noise factor of the system (which
is why you always want your low noise amplifiers as close to the
receive antenna as possible, usually mast-mounted, to avoid the
losses of a long coax).

However, at the very least, the mismatch on the receive side
will not result in catastrophic destruction of your output transistors,
which is what a mismatch on the output of a transmitter can result in.

So one mismatch is a bit more serious than the other.

Slick

Slick

I'd submit that, in a practical situation, the mismatch of an antenna for
receiving can be as high as 2:1 or even 3:1 without degrading the strength
of the received signal when the transmission line losses are low. I
thought that, if the receiver is tuneable, the actual impedance the
transmission line presents to the receiver can be 'accounted for. I
thought that, for a given antenna and transmission line, the effects of VSWR
are less important that for delivering power by a transmitter.
Am I wrong when I consider VSWR to be less important for receivers than
for transmitters?

Jerry