Old August 16th 04, 02:26 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:57:02 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

It is my understanding that the transmission line
loss isnt increased excessively when the line loss is under about 2 DB and
the VSWR is as high as 3:1, and that S-meter readings arent measureably
degraded when the receiver sees these signals thats not coming in with a 50
ohm internal impedance.

Hi Jerry,

It seems your question isn't going to be answered except to three
decimal places.

You are right, no one will notice much difference to mismatches such
as you describe. I know that your interest is in satellite plots of
weather conditions. You may experience some drop out - snow in the
picture. However this would be for marginal signals, and I am sure
that the uncorrelated noise would only slightly degrade the contrast
or detail.

I've played with WEFAX over HF to worse conditions and those pictures
came out quite readable.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC