Old August 19th 03, 06:39 AM
Tom Bruhns

(Dr. Slick) wrote in message . com...
(Tom Bruhns) wrote in message om...

As others have noted, the magnitude of the reflection coefficient can
be greater than unity with a passive line and load. Don't try to read
too much physical significance into that, however.

That's impossible, unless you have a free source of energy, in
which case you should send me the schematic!

Do you believe everything people tell you? How did they set this
up? I don't think i will get an answer to this.

Excuse me? As a matter of fact, the way I discovered that you can
have a reflection coefficient greater than unity was to set up the
boundary conditions for a real transmission line feeding a moderately
high Q inductor and discover that |rho|1. Up to that point, nobody
had told me it was possible. At the time, it was a somewhat
surprising result to me. Try it yourself. On a line, Vf/If = -Vr/Ir
= Zo. At the end of the line connected to an load whose impedance is
Zl, the current is V/Zl, but V = Vf+Vr, and the current there must
also be If+Ir. You should be able to reduce those to the well-known
equation for reflection coefficient, and if you plug in numbers such
as Zo=50-j5 and Zl=1+j100, you'll see that |Vr/Vf|1. It only takes
three or four lines of simple linear algebra and perhaps plugging the
complex numbers into a calculator to find the result for that example.
Again, TRY it for yourself. DO NOT just believe what I tell you. If
you have trouble with the algebra, I'll be happy to help you out.

Cheers,
Tom