Old April 12th 04, 03:08 AM
starman

Dan wrote:

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Have you considered white LED's?

If you're concerned about keeping it original for collector purposes
it's a bad idea, but they'll last a very long time.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not really concerned about keeping
it "original". I'd rather have it working!

I'll look into LEDs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan

Remember that you will have to add a series resistor to limit the
current in each LED, otherwise they won't last long. Use Ohms law to
calculate the resistor value based on the source voltage and the
voltage/current ratings of the LED. I replaced the fifty-six (no typo!)
green LED's in my R8B display with just four bright white ones. The
display now looks blue-green with white charecters. The R8 was designed
before there were bright LED's, so Drake had to use an array of many
dozens of less bright ones to backlight the LCD display.