Old April 12th 04, 05:23 AM
CW

"Dave" wrote in message
What you saw in the antenna book was not a misprint. It was an L network
tuner. It is an impedance matcher, not a preselector.

Gotcha. That was the only way I could figure it. I saw something almost
similar (is that like almost pregnant?) in my Practical Antenna Hanbook

(Joe
Carr) last night, but suspect it is a printing error. It was an series
inductor following behind a capacitor shunt to ground. Only that would (I
think) choke off RF and shunt it to ground. (Am I wrong?) Have been

trying
to figure that one out all day. Last night I fixed my big solder gun, and
can now solder a ground wire to the grounding rod outside my bedroom

window.
Hope to do that tomorrow.

I am definetly going to set this up. Have already tested several of my
small capacitors, but they do not appear stable enough for anything

serious.
Just to familiarize myself with the mathematics, I have already calculated
the inductors I would need for the first one I tested. Just finished
removing a better variable cap from an old junk shortwave radio (a Luke, I
think) and am going to try to use it. May have a problem with my meter
though. May have to take the variable cap to the shop and have it tested

on
a known good LCR meter (gotta get one of those. I a currently using a DMM
with limited capacitance capability.) If I do that I'll take my

calculator
and notepad with me, so I can figure out and write down the values of
inductance I need. Damn I'm having fun.

Thank you very much for this suggestion. It is much appreciated.

Dave