Old April 13th 04, 04:59 PM
N8KDV

Corbin Ray wrote:

I don't care who owns WLIB. But I will never forgive them for killing one of
the best radio stations in middle America. Remember what happened to WOWO,
50,000-watt blowtorch from Fort Wayne that covered 38 states and half of
Canada? The owner of WLIB bought them a few years ago, decreased their power
and changed their directional pattern just so that WLIB could increase its
own power to cover NYC. Then the owners dumped their damaged goods and sold
WOWO to someone else.

That was one of the saddest days in broadcast history for me. WOWO used to
have an incredible signal here in Kentucky. Back in the 70s, my radio
buttons were set on WLS, WCFL, WOWO, and 15 WLAC. And even though they
weren't still playing music, I was listening to them steadily every night,
right up to the sad night when their strong signal became a noisy whisper.

So as far as I'm concerned, WLIB can take a flying leap into the Hudson
River and let us have WOWO back.

When I was a kid I sat in the studio with Bob Sievers when he did his show on
WOWO.

I think I was 13 or 14 at the time. My grandparents farm was just up the hill
from the transmitter site, and I used to go down there and hang out. My
grandfather used to mow the area around the transmitter/tower site.

One set of grandparents lived in the city, the others had the farm.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B