Old August 19th 03, 01:45 PM
W5DXP

Roy Lewallen wrote:
One can mathematically and conceptually conceive two opposite-traveling
waves that add up to the observed standing wave, and that's fine. The
problem comes with assigning power or energy to the waves.

Proposing waves that exist without energy seems more problematical
to me. And nobody has come up with an explanation of how standing
waves can exist without forward waves and reflected waves in a
single source, single feedline, single load system. Seems to me,
that is an absolutely necessary first step in proposing self-
sustaining standing waves.

The average power analysis looks to me something like this. Suppose you
have two batteries ...

In a typical ham installation, there is only one source and all system
energy is supplied by that single source. Please limit your examples
to one source to adhere to reality. Having to change the example
away from reality to multiple sources to make a point is a weakness,
not a strength, in the argument. In a typical ham installation, instant
energy is NOT available since the source is nanoseconds away. Any
energy needed instantaneously must already be there.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp