Old April 17th 04, 04:18 PM
Sherman D.

True, but the major point being that a transmitting antenna is usually a
narrow bandwidth antenna...A good transmitting antenna will be good for
receiving that frequency of course, but it could be argued that a SWL
receiving antenna should have a high bandwidth/gain factor..

Mike

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Jackie wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Has anyone here read the two books on wire antennas by the ARRL? They

are
volumes I & II, and have at least some information on shortwave

receiver
antennas. Are they any good? Should I spend my money on them?

I wouldn't. The ARRL antenna books are pretty technical and more

oriented
towards transmission of amateur signals than SWL.

At the same time an antenna that is very efficient for the transmission of

an
amateur signal will also be very efficient for delivering a signal to a
receiver.