Old August 17th 04, 08:43 PM
KA9CAR

1) Do NOT float the tuner, you will destroy the electronics. Grounding one
side of a dipole won't affect it unless you have a low impeadence ground
surface and a high impeadence antenna. Even then it will just skew your
pattern.

2) I ran an Alinco version of that tuner to balanced line for several
years. Worked well ( I got the idea from an SGC publication). When I
was later changing to a Johnson matchmatch box, I did some A / B comparisons
and found that receive signal strength was higher on the Matchbox on some
bands than it was on the unbalanced autotuner, but I had to look for the
differences.

3) I tried a home made air core 1:1 balun in the line. It tuned but the
signal strength was better with out the balun.

4) I fed both dipoles and loops this way.

KA9CAR

"Michael Melland" wrote in message
Anyone feeding a dipole with ladder line feed from an Icom AH-4 ?

I can find articles from people using it with whips and random length
wires.... but I'd like to feed a dipole with ladder line from it.... one

leg
to the tuner's ground and the other leg the active tuner output. I think

would be able to float the tuner without a fixed "ground" connection then
.... the non active leg acts like a counterpoise in a balanced antenna

like
this right (?).

Mike

--