Old April 18th 04, 01:37 AM
Stinger

"Lawrence H. Bulk" wrote in message
om...
I have a Mini100PE but don't use it anymore. For a real cheapy, which
for some perverse reason I'll use from time-to-time, I like the Bell +
Howell radio - $9.00(!) or sometimes LESS. It seems to be more
sensitive than the Grundig and at least my sample doesn't drift to any
appreciable extent. Here too the batteries last "forever." I won't
take it on a trip however. (I hate all analog-tuned SW receivers; I
suffered with them for years - drifting, inaccurate "tuning dials,"
going out of alignment, etc. They should all be sent to the bottom of
the ocean! [Just kidding.] [I still have my Lafayette HE-10 and I
still "love" it.] I won't ever buy an analog-tuned one again no matter
what kind of review it gets. Of course, if it were REALLY special ...)
For the past several years I've taken a Sangean ATS-606A and the
Sangean wind-up antenna but this combination frankly doesn't seem to
work too well on the West Coast, at least for me (works well on the
East Coast, however). This year I'm going to take one of my older Sony
ICF-SW7600G receivers along with the Sony AN-LP1 antenna and see how
this combination does in California. I've never owned a Sangean '909.
I did have an 808A which I liked but it got broken (don't ask how -
it's still a "sore point" with me). I very much like the Sony '7600G
and 'GR. Not very sensitive with the whip (and for a dual-conversion
receiver surprisingly only fair image rejection) but works very well
indeed with the AN-LP1. Excellent build quality; none of my Sony
7600-series radios has even given me a problem. The 'Sync' facility is
what really "makes" the receiver. I wish others would incorporate it.

Lawrence

Lawrence,

You would be the perfect candidate for a Sony ICF-SW07. It's an amazing
portable -- just priced pretty high. I was one of the folks that got in on
the "Amazon deal" for $150 -- and I've been very pleasantly surprised.

-- Stinger