Old April 18th 04, 07:55 AM
starman

Dave wrote:

I am using a DX-402 (aka Sangean ATS 505). I would be surprised if it had a balanced antenna input, and have been thinking about just clipping the external antenna to my whip after all. I hooked 20 feet of 300 ohm twinlead to a 300/75 ohm transformer and miniplug last night and plugged it in, but the signal strength was about half of what my whip gives me. Therefore, the change in plans.

It would be a mistake to connect a good external antenna directly to the
whip. The receiver will almost certainly overload. You know the symptoms
for overloading now. If you build the low noise inverted-L, the coax can
be connected to the external antenna jack with a mini plug.

I was planning on running the vertical portion of twinlead that went from ground level/grounding rod/coax up to the eaves over the steel siding, but I could just as easily run the coax up the side of the house, which would put all of the twinlead above the steel siding. Still not "out in the open" but probably the best I can do. Wifey doesn't want anything that obviously says "Hi there, I'm an antenna!"

It's funny how women have an aversion to antennas. Must be an esthetic
thing. :-)

I am beginning to consider running the coax around to the end of the house and up that side, and laying the twinlead along the ridge of the roof from one end to the other. That would be a up a lot higher and a lot more "out in the open."

The horizontal section (single wire) of an inverted-L could also run
along the roof ridge. The vertical downlead wire would connect to one
end of the horizontal section and run down the end wall of the house to
the ground. The balun would be located near the ground next to a ground
rod. The coax would go from the balun to the receiver. That's the design
of the low noise inverted-L except it's better to locate the antenna
away from the house when you can.

No problem with the questions. It's nice to see an interesting on topic
thread for a change.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not yet sure what I will end up doing,
but I want to make the best decision possible.