Old April 19th 04, 10:12 AM
starman

Dave wrote:

So, a matching transformer is all I need? I have pretty much decided to use
300 ohm twinlead along the rood ridge with a 300/75 ohm matching transformer
to connect it to the coax, and more as needed between the coax and radio.
Will that honestly work?

Thanks,

Dave

A 300/50 ohm transformer is the most common type for a shortwave folded
dipole. You can still use 75-ohm coax to the 50-ohm side of the
transformer. There would be a slight impedance mismatch but it's not
that important for a receiving antenna. I do not recommend using a
300/75 TV balun for this purpose because it's designed to operate at
much higher frequencies than shortwave. Remember that you *must* connect
the two wires in the ends of the twinlead together to make a folded
dipole. Otherwise the high impedance side of the matching transformer
(300-ohms) won't be the right value for the antenna. Finally, don't
expect this antenna to be great for all shortwave frequencies and
directions. We discussed why this is so in an earlier exchange.