Old April 19th 04, 01:50 PM
Stinger

I forgot to mention that there is a Yahoo group for this radio he

-- Stinger

"Stinger" wrote in message
. ..
Lawrence,

The SW07 is MUCH more radio than a 7600G (or GR). It comes with a powered
loop antenna (similar to AN-LP1, except that the radio actually tunes the
antenna to the freqency the SW07 is receiving at the time. The Synch
Detector is also much better.

The amount of technology that Sony put into that package is astonishing.

It
includes a ROM (updateable every two years) that looks at where you are
(after you set the world time zone) and automatically installs the best
frequencies for five major shortwave broadcasters in memory, and decides
which stepping you'll need for MW. It also has room in user memory for

all
of your favorites.

It also performs EXTREMELY well on the whip antenna, or on a standard
mini-plug roll-up wire.

It has a good, variable antenna attenuator (not just a "Local / DX"

switch),
which I think is essential for SSB (which it gets flawlessly -- but you do
have to learn to get proficient with "UP / DOWN" buttons -- there is no
tuning knob -- which is also the major problem I have with 7600GR's). The
noise filters are surprisingly good as well.

The tiny speaker on the SW07 is useful, but the radio is best used with

the
headphones from your Walkman. Not even Sony could get much fidelity out

of
a one-inch speaker. It's listenable, but understandably tinny.

Keep looking for a deal on one of these SW07's. From what I read about

your
listening requirements and travel, this is THE radio for you.

-- Stinger

"Lawrence H. Bulk" wrote in message
m...
Hello Stinger,

I had indeed thought about the '07 but the price turned me off. I feel
that, as the '07 is really no better-performing than the '7600G and
'GR (or so I've read) that I could do without.

Lawrence

"Stinger" wrote in message

Lawrence,

You would be the perfect candidate for a Sony ICF-SW07. It's an

amazing
portable -- just priced pretty high. I was one of the folks that got

in
on
the "Amazon deal" for $150 -- and I've been very pleasantly surprised.

-- Stinger