Old August 18th 04, 03:04 PM
Vito

QRO is fine if you live in a thick rain forest and can't get your antenna up
over the treetops, or if you're using Morse or SSB to set a new distance
record, but otherwise, otherwise. Before PL tones became SOP my main
VHF/UHF problem was pulling up multiple repeaters with anything over 50
watts and even that was too much on some frequencies, so I learned to
strictly limit my power output. Nowdays most repeaters have PL tones that
prevent unwanted activation BUT using enough power to trigger them with the
tone means I'd be interfering with QSOs on them even with the PL off. If I
come up with a 100 watt signal, sans PL, but some OM close to the repeater
keys it up with a HT, my RF and voice is going to QRM his. Thats why my
VHF/UHF amps have gathered dust for over 10 years and my primary VHF/UHF rig
is a VX-2R.

73, K3DWW

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
. ..
200 watts is low power on VHF and up for many of us.