Old August 18th 04, 04:24 PM
William Mutch

In article ,
says...
I have a low-power 4:1 toroid balun almost ready in a little plastic
box. In order to keep the rain out, I am sealing everything up, but I
am also considering space-filling materials.

I am leaning toward filling it with hot "wax" - actually, paraffin
from standard household candles, although a harder grade like
sometimes found in old military equipment should be better.

The pro should be that the box would not become sealed for eternity in
case I want to re-wire something in the future, while epoxy is bomb
proof, and urethane foam is also rather hard to remove.

Is there any electrical con to be considered?

I've used bees wax and it has worked fine, though I have no way to
measure losses, if any. You can melt it to get your toroid free if you
need to. I have done this when wanting to put the same balun on
different feedlines.