Old April 20th 04, 03:21 AM
radiok3pi

Here is a "killer" combination, which I use almost every day.
Sony 2010 (or any other radio with a mechanical on/off switch that
runs on AC...most AM analog radios work fine for this), digital timer
(like the Intermatic DT-17) and Sharp LP mini-disc recorder.

I leave the 2010 in "on" position, tuned to frequency I want. The
mini-disc is left in synchro-record position - awaiting audio. the
digital timer turns the radio on/off as programmed.

With LP mini-disc recorder, you can record up to 320 minutes.

The audio is way better than long play cassette tapes. I havent used
my long play cassette recorder since I went to mini-disc

the problem with most (not all) radio timers is that they only last an
hour.

a lot of the MW DXers use laptop and a program called Total Recorder.
I prefer not having to go thru computer for unattended recording, so
the mini-disc works great...and as an added bonus, music sounds great
on MD.

I wish all radios had a mechanical on/off switch rather than the
momentary power on/off switches...you can't leave them in an "on"
state.

Russ

Jim Williams wrote:

I'd like to be able to automatically record some shows off of a radio.
Most are on MW (AM 510-1600). I'd like to get a radio that can be
programmed with timers to automatically turn on and tune to a station
at certain times and activate a tape recorder.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on some setups?

Some ideas I'm wondering about, a

- Icom R-75? Does it have timers?

- CCRadio Plus (I think this along with the VersaCorder will do what I
want, but no SW)

- Does the Ten-Tec RX-320 have timers? Can it activate a tape
recorder? Can it be programmed to start recording via some sort of
software to MP3 files on a computer?

- Yaesu FRG-100?
- Sony 7600GR?
- Sony 2010?
- Grundig S350?
- Grundig Satellit 800?

I saw a Sangean SW receiver with a built in tape recorder (818
maybe?). I don't remember if it had auto-reverse, though. Does it have
timers?

I guess one consideration is having enough tape to record a 2 or 3
hour show... Recording to MP3s on a computer would obviate that, I
guess.

- Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Jim