Old April 21st 04, 11:37 PM
starman

Dan Graves wrote:

I'm curious as to how you can have such a short lead to the ground
rod? It's more than 12" from my radios to the window. Doesn't the
ground wire connect to the ground connection on the radios?

Thanks,
Dan

The inverted-L antenna design we've been talking about uses a coax lead
which goes to a box near the ground rod. The coax doesn't go up to the
end of the antenna wire overhead. There is a single wire coming down
from one end of the horizontal section of the antenna to the matching
transformer, located in the box near the ground. This allows for a
really short ground wire from the box to the rod. That's why mine is
only 12-inches. Since the coax shield is grounded outside at the box and
rod, there isn't any need for a seperate ground wire to the receiver.
The receiver gets grounded by the coax shield where it connects to the
receiver's antenna input.