Old August 20th 04, 08:33 AM
SpamHog

Richard Clark wrote in message news:

Returning to the issue of lightning, I would suggest you mine the
archives of rec.radio.amateur.antenna for Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

More silly musings:

I read, among other things, that the advice to introduce a coax shield
RF choke as lightning protection has been dropped, mostly on the
grounds that a choke is an EMP pickup.
Hmmmm... That applies to a helical wound inductor, not an
isotropically near-deaf winding like a toroid.
In turn, a single-layer toroid winding would offer a flashover point
between the hot and cold ends of the winding.

OTOH if the inductor is made
- with a couple of windings on straight drainpipe
- electrically in series
- axes parallel
- oppositely oriented
- spaced enough to reduce mutual inductance (say, one yard or more),
what you get is high insulation, no flashover point, limited
pulse pickup (as long as the distance between the windings is that
the distance between them and the putative pulse source).

Another trick would be to make it a single shielded winding.
(Insert warning about inductively shorted winding here -- )

Yet another would be the SPL, the satanist pentagonal layout. It's
like a toroid, cept the winding is split in 5 parts, each in the
middle of the 3-foot side of a pentagon. The two ends are kept well
apart, of course. A weatherproof chandelier is to be lit in the
middle as storms approach.

Sounds like fun.

If I find the inspiration I'll put in a phase canceling split-winding
choke.