Old August 20th 04, 10:19 AM
SpamHog

In the 1920's and 1930's there were scores of people
claiming to "hear radio in [their tooth cavity] fillings".

Today, we have more people in more countries with more tooth fillings
near more (and more powerful) transmitters than ever before, yet
nobody claims to hear radio in their teeth. The focus has shifted to
other, more fashionable sources of radiation, such as cellphones.

It all boils down to whether low-level, non-ionizing radiation has any
effect at the molecular level or not.

Conventional wisdom had it that being that radiation non-ionizing, if
its intensity was short of sufficient for inducing macroscopic
heating, it would not be harmful. On the other hand, heating had long
been tied to cataracts and male sterility, and of course to burns.

In recent years, it was discovered that many birds had the capability
to convert the earth magnetic field into electrochemical nerve
signals. As microscopic magnetic crystals were found in birds' brains
(and later in humans' brains as well), speculation is now focusing on
the possibility that physical effects may have some heretofore
unnnoticed chemical impact too.

Bad statistical manipulation is easy to spot, bad data much less so.
As an RF addict and a statistics aesthete, I hope research will
continue, but I am not terribly concerned.