Old April 28th 04, 08:07 AM
GO BEARCATS

How many people are even casual listeners of the show? Maybe not many.

You think? You might be right Frank. I wished I could help fund it on a larger
scale, kinda my 'good deed'.

I don't see any reason to think the show is
popular.

Well, that's opinion and we know......well you know. ;-) I don't know 'how'
popular it is 'now'.......it's just the fact that it was 'more' than just
popular back then.

The original show is gone. It wasn't recorded.

I know a guy who is about a four minute drive down the hill into the village
that has tapes(reels) of some of the shows and I heard enough to know it is
just about 'dead on'........I'll see what my Dad says when he hears it because
I've taped some of them for him. Seeing how it might go off forever, I might
go on and continue to tape them so at least I'll have a piece of it.

If some guy wants to
recreate the show from the old scripts, that's nice but it's only a
recreation.

If some guy wants to
recreate the show from the old scripts, that's nice but it's only a
recreation.

I know that Frank, if it was the actual reels themselves, he'd STILL be
begging because people (most of them) just don't care about the 'old days' or
"how things used to be." It wouldn't matter if it was original, but that's just
my guess and we know what that's worth. ;-)

If he's go a public spirited interest in preserving what's left of the
original show, I'll suggest he should donate the scripts to a museum. Or he
could scan them and post them on the internet. If he scanned the scripts
using OCR, he could reduce the scans to text files and post them t

o one of
the old time radio groups.

I might print out this post of yours, matter of fact Frank, I PROMISE, I will
print out what you said and send it to him and ask him also. Who knows? Maybe
he is a fraud and getting filthy stinkin' rich of it and crying wolf, you know?

Everybody? What evidence is there that this show is popular with everybody?

OK Frank. Since we are using 'exact' words, I will rephrase it. I've heard
what he says about the show and how all America (now I KNOW he didn't mean
literally EVERY person breathing oxygen in the USA in the 30's were listening
all at the same time to Amos&Andy...lol) but I know my grandparents did and my
dad and his brother did.

When I've mentioned it to the old timers that sit down here on the benches by
the Ohio River (and I HAVE asked).....there were five or six guys and every one
of them laughed and smiled except one guy and he acted like he never smiled for
anything to begin with.

I just know from the facts that the show DID air during the Depression Era and
it was one thing that could be counted on during a time that MANY lives changed
dramatically for the bad. The old guy right down the hill I talked about that
has reels of the show has said basically word for word what Ed Bolton has said.

Who knows? Maybe coincidence and they both listened to the show. Ed said he
was five when he started listening in 32, or that he remembers being five when
he did, so that'd make him what? I'd say he is in his mid 70's. My dear old
friend dowwn the hill (with the Hammarlund that I posted about in here the
FIRST time I saw one and I said I was gonna get one) I KNOW Homer is in his
upper 70's or early 80's.

He's hobby broadcasting.

Absolutely Frank. I 'suppose' he feels he's doing something 'nice' when things
WERE nice. It more than likely just doesn't mean as much to people of today.
The older folks that listened back then, either don't have a shortwave or are
dead. Because I have a feeling those guys that hang out down on the river
bank, if they could listen to that show (minus the one guy) I betcha they
would.

And NO I'm not giving them a radio to hear it either...lol.

That's the idea. Don't complain about your hobby, just do something else.

I'm not complaining about MY hobby, I know what you mean though.

If he wants to share the history of these old scripts, he can scan them and
post them on the internet. This would cost very little.

If he wants to preserve the historical value of the scipts, he can donate
them to the Museum of Broadcasting.

If he wants to share the history of these old scripts, he can scan them and
post them on the internet. This would cost very little.

If he wants to preserve the historical value of the scipts, he can donate
them to the Museum of Broadcasting.

Like I said Frank, as soon as I get done typing the last letter to this and hit
send and then 'OK'......I will print this out and explain to him about this
thread. Heck, I don't even know if he knows about computers or what a thread
is, so I'll explain it to him.

Good post. But TOO long. ;-P
**I'll add though, I'm almost afraid he'd read it on the air and say "OK Frank,
bye!" Then pull the plug....lol....then I wouldn't get to hear it every night
because of YOU Frank.

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*