Old August 22nd 04, 04:25 PM
Jim Leder

Default G5RV vs. G5RV Jr.

I can read all kinds of info about the 'full sized' G5RV, but I have yet to
find any detailed performance info on the G5RV Jr.

Like:
- The original G5RV was designed mainly for 20 meters, with acceptable
performance on 80/40 and if you are lucky maybe 17. What might be the
optimum band for the Jr., if it has one?
- I've seen EZNEC outputs demonstrating the gain and the lobes the regular
G5RV generates, but never with the Jr. I suppose I could attempt to model
it, but my skill with EZNEC is limited. Has anyone successfully modeled a
Jr? What's it look like?
- Do any GOOD EZNEC input files exist for the regular G5RV AND the G5RV Jr.?
Or at least the full sized version, I guess it could always be modified to
fit the Jr. I've attempted the full sized G5RV model with strange results
(again my skills are not too good, but I keep trying anyway).
- The full sized G5RV definitely has different characteristics over it's
smaller brother, or so it seems. The full sized one I have works well on 17,
but the Jr. a friend has does not. Mine is so-so on 12, his Jr. works very
well on 12. Does anyone really know why? Or is it just luck of the antenna?

Thanks!

--

Jim & Pat Leder