Old May 3rd 04, 01:49 AM
Dale Parfitt

"DJB" wrote in message
I'm will setting up my shack soon but the question of grounding has come

up.
I'll be driving a 8' copper rod into the ground and running wire to a
grounding bulkhead for the equipment to tie in. The problem is that my

shack
will be on the second floor. I know that you would have to keep the ground
run as short as possible. Could I use a use a larger guage wire for the
ground run? If so, what guage should I use? I plan to use originally #10
guage.

Thank you,

Dave

There are 2 issues here- a good lightning ground and a good RF ground. You

are probably fine for lighning, but RF is a different story. Consider an 18'
long ground wire - that's a 1/4 wave long at 13 MHz and will be virtually
invisible- i.e. no difference with it connected/disconnected from an RF
view.

Dale W4OP