Old May 3rd 04, 05:40 PM
Scott Dorsey

William Mutch wrote:

I had my hands on an operational R-390 for the first time. Quite
a radio! and I now understand the almost mystic reverence it inspires.
Question is...what contemporary solid state rigs deserve comparision ??
I realize lots of guys will want an oar in the water on this one.

Check out the current generation of Watkins-Johnson gear. Demodulation is
done with DSP, after digitizing the IF. Sensitivity is a little bit better
than the R-390, and selectivity is just as good as the Collins mechanical
filters, but with much less ringing and audible artifacts. Also there is
an optional panadaptor system that will identify modulation modes and
make some attempt at identifying signals, putting this information on the
screen beside each peak. Comparing the system with my R-390, it is definitely
a step up in convenience and sound quality although weak signal performance
really isn't any better. Probably available for under half a million bucks
although it may be considered a military supply item and require a lot of
paperwork.

There are some okay commercial communications receivers... check the front
section of the WRTH for some info. The big JRC unit is reasonable, though
not as clean as the R-390.

I also fell in love with another radio. This happens from time
to time and mostly I ignore it. It wasn't the most beautiful radio in
the place (arguably the McMurdo Silver Masterpiece) but the rather plane
jane BC-348. What a chassis! and rather a lovely faceplate under the
ugly warpaint. Question is..how much would a guy have to pay to get
close to a reasonably un-murderified, decently operational, youngish BC-
348 *not* in rich collector restored condition ??

I dunno, they used to be cheap hamfest junk that you couldn't give away a
decade ago. Great sounding audio too. Absolutely useless for weak signal
work, hardly usable for SSB and worthless in a pileup, but a great rig for
listening to strong commercial shortwave stations.
--scott