Old August 19th 03, 10:07 PM
Roy Lewallen

You've still lost me. If the line loss is negligible when matched, even
a high SWR won't increase loss appreciably. That is, in fact, why people
use open wire line when the SWR is high. So I don't believe your 3 dB
figure is correct. Where did it come from? How was it calculated?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Dave Shrader wrote:
I should have been more specific. The line loss, in a 500 ohm open wire
tuned feeder system, IF MATCHED, can be assumed to be negligible. The
presence of the additional losses caused by the amplitudes of the
reflected components at a VSWR of 10:1 will be about 3 dB.

Is 3 dB negligible? It's approximately 1/2 S unit. Whether or not 3 dB
is negligible depends on the individual station. I get one judgment if I
consider QRP and a different judgment if I consider QRO. For me, 3 dB on
75/40 is acceptable due to a single antenna limitation and 1 KW output.

Roy, thanks for challenging my 'loose language'.