Old May 6th 04, 02:41 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Mark S. Holden wrote:
GO BEARCATS wrote:
What's the groups take on this particular brand? I've never purchased them
myself. I bought a pack of sixteen of them for $3.87 (including tax.)

I know this part has been mentioned before but if someone would be so kind,
what's the best way to store batteries (alkaline) or is there? I know not to
have them out in the extreme heat, but I've read some people put em' in the
fridge.

Is there any validity to this other than cold batteries? ;-)

I haven't done a formal test, but RayOVac alkaline batteries seem to
perform about like typical store brand alkaline batteries - a little
less juice than Duracell or Eveready.

They aren't my brand of choice, but if I'm buying batteries for remotes
or LED flashlights, I'll buy them if the price is right. I have NIMH
batteries for most things with high current draw.

Putting batteries in the fridge will extend their shelf life a bit
because it slows down the chemical reaction. They won't be able to give
full power until they warm up. But unless you forget where you put
them, odds are the shelf life is long enough anyway.

Google anything that looks like a model # on the batteries and
you'll probably find a manufacturer's spec sheet showing
curves and MAH ratings. This is one way to spot D cells
that are really C cells in a D shell.

The major brands do differ in MAH rating, and I assume
make different flavors for different markets. Frequently
it comes down to buying what's in sale and not worrying
about it.

When I've looked at spec sheets for AA batteries
Rayovac was at the low end for MAH ratings but that's
not the same thing as MAH/$$

--
Al Dykes