Old May 6th 04, 04:28 PM
Mark S. Holden

Michael Bryant wrote:

Here is a quotation from GWBush this last Friday in the Rose Garden. I'm not
sure why it hasn't received more play:

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject
that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim
faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily
a different color than white can self-govern."

The racism here is not subtle. In my mind, it portrays how the President sees
the world.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for.

It's a safe bet that phrase wasn't crafted by a professional writer, but I'd think you'd agree with him.

What he said boils down to "those who feel non whites are incapable of governing themselves are wrong."