Old August 24th 04, 12:48 AM
Jim Leder

OK, I've seen the responses that the G5RV ,and especially the Jr. variety,
are below average performers. And that a center fed doublet with open line
or at least something like 450 ohm ladder line is a better option as long as
you have a balanced to unbalanced external tuner. I certainly won't argue
that, but suppose I want to be able to use my Kenwood TS450sat's internal
tuner (unbalanced input only), what are my options for a decent, simple
multiband antenna (80/75,40,20,17,etc)? And, I understand that 'fan' dipoles
can be effective (I have an Alpha Delta DXEE for 40/20/15/10, it's poor on
40 BTW). I don't have enough tress for multi element dipole anyway. Can a
'doublet' with 450 ohm ladder line to a 4:1 balun then coax to the tuner be
effective? What would be 'ideal' dimensions for the doublet?
BTW, I did download the 'dipole3' program and my friend with the G5RV Jr.
was VERY disappointed to learn that his Jr. wasn't worth a hoot, even though
he has had fair success with it. Guess in the end it all comes down to what
you have faith in :+)) . Nice little program, thanks for pointing me at it.

Fun to consider these things and ALWAYS to experiment. Cecil, I took to
heart your 'l-loop' and modified one for 30 meters. I have had GREAT luck
with it! Best thing I've tried on 30. Thanks!

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Jim Leder wrote:

I can read all kinds of info about the 'full sized' G5RV, but I have yet
to find any detailed performance info on the G5RV Jr.

Like:
- The original G5RV was designed mainly for 20 meters, with acceptable
performance on 80/40 and if you are lucky maybe 17. What might be the
optimum band for the Jr., if it has one?

Antennas are scalable with frequency. The full-sized G5RV is a
pretty good performer on 80m, 40m, and 20m (also 12m). The 1/2
sized G5RV will therefore be a pretty good performer on 40m,
20m, and 10m.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp