Old May 6th 04, 06:58 PM
N8KDV

Tom Laskowski wrote:

IBOC is going to kill my mediumwave DXing hobby and DRM as well as BPL
will kill my ham radio and shortwave DXing hobby. I still hold out
some hope that things might not be as bad as I have heard but just in
case I would like to hear as many of the NASWA countries that I still
have not heard before I retire permanantly from the hobby.

I have been away from NASWA for about 12 years now and don't know what
is still active on shortwave but these are the countries I still need
to hear DIRECT.

I would appreciate any tips, logs, or help in hearing these. Also,
does anyone have any idea which of the NASWA countries in the complete
NASWA Countries List are still active? Better yet, which are off the
air.

Georgia (Georgian SSR) active
Abkhazia (Georgian SSR) active as a 'station' not sure as a country
Armenia (Armenian SSR) active
Kazakhstan (Kazakh SSR) not sure
Kirghistan (Kirghiz SSR) not sure
Tajikistan (Tadzhik SSR) active
Turkmenistan (Turkmen SSR) active
Uzbekistan (Uzbek SSR) not sure
Azerbaijan (Azerbaijan SSR) active
Bahrain active
Bhutan active
Cambodia (French Indochina) reportadly active
China, People's Rep. - Manchuria I believe so
China, People's Rep. - Tibet I believe so
Eritrea (Ethiopia) some clandestines to Eritrea
India - Andaman and Nicobar Islands active
India - Kashmir active
India - Sikkim active
Somali, Dem. Rep. - British (British Somaliland) active
Indonesia - Kalimantan (Borneo) active
Indonesia - Nusa Tenggara (Lesser Sunda Islands) active
Indonesia - Sumatera (Sumatra) active
Laos (French Indochina) active
Malaysia - Sabah (British North Borneo) I believe so
Malaysia - Sarawak not sure
Myanmar (Burma) active
Nepal active
Croatia (Yugoslavia) not sure
Russian Rep. - Kaliningrad (Konigsberg) active
Wales used to be pirates, none lately as far as I know
Azad Kashmir (India) not sure as to transmitter site whether active or
not , as a station, yes.
Belau (Palau) not sure
British Indian Ocean Territory AFN has not been heard for some time

Hope that helps a bit.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B