Old May 6th 04, 10:25 PM
m II

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Hheheh... actually that sounds like you have the makings of a neat diversity
reception system. Combine the audio outputs of each radio (a headphone mixer,
etc.), each with a different external antenna (seperated from each other by as
much distance as you can muster), and then tune the same frequency. You should
notice different fading patterns on each antenna/radio, and combining these can
often lead to a lot less fading apparent to your ears.
Linus

That's a neat idea. It makes me wish I had an acreage instead of a thin
city lot. Once I get the garage done at the back of the lot I'll be able
to string out roughly 120 ft of longwire. There will be a chunk of rigid
pipe going up on the rear of the garage and on the side of the house.
It'll be about 17 feet off the ground at the garage and 14 feet at the
house.

I need to find information on hidden antennas. I'd like to put a few
hundred feet of #12 inside the garage ceiling before drywalling. It's a
peaked ceiling, resembling an A frame. I just don't know how effective
this would be. Picture the wire as being in a rectangular pyramid shape,
with last leg going down the length of the peak. I was thinking of
spacing the wire roughly 8 to 12 inches apart, winding evenly around the
inside. I'll terminate one end near a bench inside a small electrical
box, with a screw terminal in the cover.

I've got to find out the efficiency of this set up. It may be that the
wire going south will be defeated by the wire going north...and the same
for east and west. If that IS the case, I'd get an antenna that is the
electrical equivalent length to only the RISE above ground. It'd be a
shame to use hundreds of feet of wire to get ten feet of work out it.

There must be formulas somewhere.

mike