Old August 24th 04, 11:43 AM
KC1DI

Jim Leder wrote:

OK, I've seen the responses that the G5RV ,and especially the Jr. variety,
are below average performers. And that a center fed doublet with open line
or at least something like 450 ohm ladder line is a better option as long as
you have a balanced to unbalanced external tuner. I certainly won't argue
that, but suppose I want to be able to use my Kenwood TS450sat's internal
tuner (unbalanced input only), what are my options for a decent, simple
multiband antenna (80/75,40,20,17,etc)? And, I understand that 'fan' dipoles
can be effective (I have an Alpha Delta DXEE for 40/20/15/10, it's poor on
40 BTW). I don't have enough tress for multi element dipole anyway. Can a
'doublet' with 450 ohm ladder line to a 4:1 balun then coax to the tuner be
effective? What would be 'ideal' dimensions for the doublet?
BTW, I did download the 'dipole3' program and my friend with the G5RV Jr.
was VERY disappointed to learn that his Jr. wasn't worth a hoot, even though
he has had fair success with it. Guess in the end it all comes down to what
you have faith in :+)) . Nice little program, thanks for pointing me at it.

Fun to consider these things and ALWAYS to experiment. Cecil, I took to
heart your 'l-loop' and modified one for 30 meters. I have had GREAT luck
with it! Best thing I've tried on 30. Thanks!

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message

Jim Leder wrote:

I can read all kinds of info about the 'full sized' G5RV, but I have yet
to find any detailed performance info on the G5RV Jr.

Like:
- The original G5RV was designed mainly for 20 meters, with acceptable
performance on 80/40 and if you are lucky maybe 17. What might be the
optimum band for the Jr., if it has one?

Antennas are scalable with frequency. The full-sized G5RV is a
pretty good performer on 80m, 40m, and 20m (also 12m). The 1/2
sized G5RV will therefore be a pretty good performer on 40m,
20m, and 10m.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Hi Jim:

Here's what I've done in the past and it worked well for me. (though I'm
not sure about the tuner in the 450, but it worked fine with my LDG
Z100 auto tuner) Run the best coax you can find.. try to keep it as
short as possible (less than 10' would be good) to the outside of the
building then use a 1:1 Choke balun and convert to open wire (ladder
line) run it to the center of the dipole. then get on the air and use
it, think you'll be happy.

73 Dave Kc1di