Old August 19th 03, 10:47 PM
Roy Lewallen

I find this most interesting. As a P.E. licensed by the state of Oregon
(since 1981), I'm aware that I'm subject to state laws governing the
code of conduct of Professional Engineers, and all other applicable
state laws. I didn't realize that I had legal obligations to NIST, or
that any other federal agency has requirements for P.E.s of all states.
Would you please provide some reference where I can further research
this obligation and the rules it has imposed that I'm legally required
to comply with?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL, P.E.

Richard Clark wrote:
. . .
Strictly speaking from the point of legality, it is demanded of
Professional Engineers by the National Institutes of Science and
Technology (what was called the National Bureau of Standards or NBS
years ago).

This means that ANY P.E. that describes a physical relation that does
not conform to these scientific concepts, and damage results to that
Professional Engineer's customer, then that P.E. is liable in a court
of law. This form of legality is the whole point of being P.E.s and
the government making the demand that P.E.s be part of describing
engineering codes and performing design review.

. . .