Old August 24th 04, 12:29 PM
Cecil Moore

KC1DI wrote:
Here's what I've done in the past and it worked well for me. (though I'm
not sure about the tuner in the 450, but it worked fine with my LDG
Z100 auto tuner) Run the best coax you can find.. try to keep it as
short as possible (less than 10' would be good) to the outside of the
building then use a 1:1 Choke balun and convert to open wire (ladder
line) run it to the center of the dipole. then get on the air and use
it, think you'll be happy.

Of course, depending upon the impedance seen by the choke, the
choking function may be virtually non-existent. For instance,
5000 ohms is not an unusual impedance in a system of this sort.
The choke would need about 25,000 ohms of choking impedance. I
don't know where to obtain such a choke. I'm doing good to get
500 ohms of choking impedance. If I ran a system such as above,
I would definitely use a balanced antenna tuner.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp