Old May 7th 04, 06:53 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
Here's Ed's reply to that song being 'insensitive.' LOL

Once again, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about!
"The Perfect Song" was written as a dreamy song to be sung. I have a copy

of
the words and music somewhere, and there's nothing in those words that is
"racially insensitive"! They are dreamy, philosophical in nature, so I

really
can't see what he's talking about!
If he means that the movie BIRTH OF A NATION portrayed negroes as slaves,

well
then THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS, during the birth of this nation! They were

brought
over here to this country to be SLAVES, to work on the southern cotton
plantations like it or not!
Apparently, he's criticizing the movie because it was historically

accurate!
The movie may have USED the song to enhance the action in it, but that

doesn't
mean that the composer of the song was "racially insensitive"!

Well, I did call the movie racially insensitive and racist. That's a fact,
just as much as it's a fact that slavery was racist. My real critisism of
the movie is that it is boring. I don't remember much more of it, but I do
remember it does portray blacks as either subservient or a threat. I
suppose they could have put in a token negro hero for balance, but then the
movie would have been even worse, because it would have been even more
boring.

I don't know much of anything about the song, I just know it was written for
a racially insensitive, boring movie. I also know the critisism of Amos 'n'
Andy centers around it's presumed racial insensitivity. Yes, I did say
presumed. Presumed by people other than me. I really don't have a strong
opinion of Amos 'n' Andy one way or another. But it does seem strange that
a song from that movie was chosen for the original Amos 'n' Andy.

I'm not critisizing Ed's recreations of Amos 'n' Andy. I don't listen to
them. I don't think many shortwave listeners listen, either. I do know
there's plenty of fans of old time radio out there, but I don't think SW
radio reaches the bulk of them. I think the internet is a good place to
reach the OTR fans.

Ed does seem to take obvservations and comments as critisisms of his show.
I wonder if he's just a little sensitive.

Frank Dresser