Old August 24th 04, 05:56 PM
Tony Angerame

Thanks to all who replied. The static roblem is one I hadn't thought
of.It is indeed a "Crackling" but is also very constant, unlike an arc
followed by some quiet. For what it's worth I had the powerline
company check and they said it was "Clear for miles". Oh well. The
balun/choke/resistor is easy enough to try.I'll report back on what I
find. Thanks!

Tony WA6LZH

(Tony Angerame) wrote in message . com...
This is more of an account than a question but here goes. I have a
second
qth in the Sierra at about 4000 feet. The soil is rocky and dry,
especially this time of year. Using a G5RV at about 40 feet in a tree
I was plagued by a surprisingly high noise levelon 80/40 meters. It
sounded like power line noise but I can't say for sure. Playing with
various grounding schemes seemed to help somewhat but never really got
rid of the noise. One scheme seemed to work for awhile and the next
week it didn't.

The solution was to close in the bottom of the G5RV forming a full
wave loop.
The noise is no longer discernible. It went from approximately an s-6
to zero!

My question is: What can I conclude from this? Either concerning the
nature of the noise or the efficacy ofthe solution. Loops is gud?

Aside, the loop seems to be good close in as it is fed from the top
(Like a G5RV) but I am considering a corner feed to improve low angle.

Tony WA6LZH