Old August 25th 04, 03:01 AM
Roy Lewallen

I'm not sure what the interest might be in the application, if a patent
has been issued. Typically, an application undergoes modification --
sometimes, extreme modification -- before the patent issues. And only
the patent carries any prohibition about anyone making, using, or
selling the item.

The patent (6,677,914) is interesting in that it's a patent not for an
antenna, or a method of tuning the antenna, but a system which includes
the antenna, a transmitter/receiver, and "means to coordinate the means
for adjusting the length of said conductive members to receive a desired
frequency used by said radio transmitter/receiver." To see exactly what
is patented, look up the patent at the USPTO's web site and read claims
1 and 16. Those describe exactly what is patented -- the patented system
includes all the components in either claim. (The remaining claims are
more restrictive, put there in case the less restrictive claims are
deemed invalid in the future.) Only a system which includes all the
components in a claim is covered under the patent, except for
modifications "obvious to one skilled in the art".

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an attorney, patent or otherwise. This is based on
my limited and layman's knowledge of the law. Don't regard it as legal
advice -- see a qualified patent attorney if you need real legal advice.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

J. McLaughlin wrote:
Dear Group:
One may see a patent application for the "SteppIR" antenna on the
PTO's web site.

Look for:
20020171598 Tunable antenna system

Punch in the above number he
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html

The application issued as patent 6,677,914.

I can not remember if this has been posted. 73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home: