Old August 25th 04, 04:51 AM

Agreed
Art
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
. . .
Roy makes the point that the design in its entirety was the main claim

which
appears to be in the design patent bracket. . .

The term "design patent" refers to a kind of patent that applies to an
esthetic design, such as a unique shape for a vase or the classic
Coca-Cola bottle. The patent in question isn't a design patent (even
though the claims describe a whole system) but a "utility patent".
Design and utility patents are different critters. Each has its own
sequence of numbers, and I believe they have different application
processes. When a technical person speaks of a patent, he or she almost
always means a utility patent.

I know this to be true only for U.S. patents; I don't know about the
rules or terminology used in other countries. You can find more
information about the two distinct kinds of U.S. patents at the USPTO
website.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL