Old May 10th 04, 02:40 PM
Simon Mason

"MossadAgent86" wrote in message
I want to rant a short while and then ask a question about AM reception.

Years ago (I think) all radio's had superheterodyne circuits which allowed

for
great sensitivity and selectivity. I figured that, for all time, all

radio's
would be superhet circuitry. Now the modern AM radio's I buy are all crap,

esp
car radio's. They can not pull in stations, for nothing.

What modern (new or used) AM radio can I buy that can pull in distant

stations?
Is there a way to boast the strength of a common AM radio (by placing a

pipe
alongside it...or some such)? Lately, I buy cheap (old transistor) radio's

at
yard sales, hoping that some of them will have good AM reception. Very few

do
have.

I've picked up US medium wave stations in winter on a Sony 2001D (2010) in
the UK using the sync mode. Getting an RX with a sideband selectable
synchronous detector will make big difference.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby