Old May 11th 04, 07:07 AM
Pete KE9OA

The AM section in the Cambridge Audio Model T500 tuner is good, and it is a
dual conversion design. The sound of it is nothing to write home about,
though.

Pete

"Mediaguy500" wrote in message
In many, many applications today where an AM tuner is included (a
low-priced stereo reciever is a good example) the AM circuitry is not
even as good as the better "pocket" transistor radios of the 1960's.
The designer's view is: "Hey, they aren't buying a stereo rceiver to

listen to AM, fercryinoutloud!" - and they save some nickles there

exactly. That has been my experience also. No matter what modern radios I

buy
or hear at someone else's house (no matter what the price is) does not do

good
at picking up AM and in fact, is very poor at picking up AM, while the FM

side
is good.

While the old radios I have seen pick up AM as well as today's radios pick

up
FM.

The FM broadcast band first gained popularity over the AM broadcast band
sometime in the mid-1970's to late 1970's).

altthough I'm not sure when the manufacturers decided to stop making AM
reception on radios any good.

The older radios are probably the better bet for good AM reception, in my
opinion.