Old May 11th 04, 07:53 AM
Jay Heyl

In article ,
says...

What modern (new or used) AM radio can I buy that can pull in distant stations?
Is there a way to boast the strength of a common AM radio (by placing a pipe
alongside it...or some such)? Lately, I buy cheap (old transistor) radio's at
yard sales, hoping that some of them will have good AM reception. Very few do
have.

How much are you looking to spend? What do you consider distant? I've
pulled in stations from 1000 miles away on a modern pocket radio, but I
still wouldn't consider it much of a DX machine by itself. (Hook up a
decent external antenna and it's a different story.) Are you just
looking for the big guys (50kW) or are you fishing for the small fry? It
makes a world of difference in which radio would be most appropriate.