Old May 11th 04, 03:06 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message

You have one of those Frank? You like? LOL. I love mine. I had two and

traded
with DXZoner, who used to post in here about a year ago.

I've got mixed feelings about it. The sensitivity and selectitivity are OK.
The radio rejects power line noise well. It doesn't use much power, and it
looks like it would be easy to make an external battery pack for it if I
wanted to go portable with it.

The image rejection is poor, especially on the top two bands. The stability
is OK for AM.. None of the problems are unexpected on an unexpensive radio.

In my opinion, the radio's real drawback is it's tuning. The tuning has too
much drag and backlash. It feels rubbery. The dial graduations are too
coarse. The fine tuning isn't nearly as useful as a real bandspread.

I've only seen pictures of the DX-200. It does have a sort of family
resembelance to the DX-100. The DX-200 looks to have better dial
graduations and a real bandspread. If the 200 is the 100 with better
tuning, it's probably a pretty good radio.

The DX-100 is a decent radio for AM DXing. I can often hear WLW during the
day here in the Chicago area off the internal ferrite antenna. The radio's
weaknesses get more troublesome on the higher bands.

It was my first 'I thought' real receiver. I think the definition of your
'first' receiver is the one that peaked your curiousity and then you

continued
in the radio hobby.

That's the DX100 for me. Matter of fact, I went in the living room about
fifteen minutes ago and turned it on to let it warm up. It's in mint

condition,
got the box and papers for it. Had a tech buddie of mine get in it with

his
equipment and he said it was just a tad off. I don't know how much a tad
was/is. But I'll measure it with my DX399 hooked to a yo-yo antenna wire

from
Bil'ls company (that antenna has been everywhere and been put through

crap) and
match it up to see the exact freq. at it's always dead on.

But it has to be on for about a good 45minutes to be stable. How's the

drift on
yours? When does it even out for you on your piece?

Maybe fifteen minutes to half an hour and there's no noticable drift on AM.
It never stabilizes enough to be "set and forget" on SSB. It will drift
noticably with room temperature changes.

Frank Dresser