Old May 11th 04, 10:20 PM
Frank Dresser

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My DX-200 is a drifter. Pretty worthless with tinny sound.

The appearant drift of my DX-100 was reduced after I aligned it. The
ceramic IF filter didn't peak at exactly 455 kHz. The IF had a dip between
two peaks. I was tuning it in on the bigger of the two peaks, but didn't
take much drift for it to get detuned. I religned the IF cans to the peak
of the ceramic filter, something like 456 kHz. Really very little
difference. But after the relignment, I'm sure the bandpass was more
symmetrical, and a drift of a few hundred Hz didn't produce so much audio
distortion. No doubt the local oscillator was just as drifty as it always
had been, but the tuning was a bit less critical.

If tuning across a strong station seems to give an unsymerical response on
the S-meter, a careful alignment may fix a couple of problems.

It does "look" cool though....

And I'm sure making cool looking radios was a big part of the business plan
of the Hallidrifters Corporation.

Frank Dresser