Old May 12th 04, 05:14 AM
JJ

GO BEARCATS wrote:

Here it is Gary. Remember, this is from Ed. I knew he'd have the answer. If you
talk about "Amos-n-Andy" you better know what you're talking about, because I
know he does. ;-)

OK , here's your ammunition: HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!
Radio Spirits has Amos n Andy broadcasts that were on CBS in the 40's and are a
HALF-HOUR LONG! Some of them feature guest movie actors, etc. with a live
orchestra and live audience applauding and laughing in chorus.
I have some of those programs in my own collection.
However, they were NOT THE FIRST FIFTEEN-MINUTE versions of A&A, which were
NEVER RECORDED!

Well, even Ed isn't entirely correct, the early A&A shows were recorded
for syndication. This is from Elizibeth McLeod's web site, who knows
more about A&A than anyone on the planet, including Mr Ed. "Arrangements
were made with Marsh Laboratories of Chicago to make advance recordings
of each episode on 12" 78rpm discs -- which would be distributed to
subscribing stations for airing in synchronization with the live
broadcast from WMAQ."
So the shows were recorded, however as explained in an earlier post, the
recordings were to be destroyed after use, and that is why only a few
(less than sixty) are known to survive.