Old August 26th 04, 07:07 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:23:18 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Is this recommendation of yours traceable directly to International
Measurement Standards or has it passed through the hands of a sales
department?

Hi Punchinello,

Your hedged question belies an ignorance of premium equipment that has
been dominant in the field for 50 years. How is it you fail to
recommend what you use?

I have calibrated such in a Primary Electronic Standards Lab against
standards traceable to NBS at the time. [but you knew this already]
I did such work under contracts to Boeing, and the model I own was
acquired from Boeing complete with certificates of traceability(not my
own work, I have only on occasion found a piece of precision gear with
my stickers on it).

I have never encountered a GR 1606 that fell outside of its
specifications - except for one where someone apparently burnt out one
bridge component, a resistor. Undoubtedly this was accomplished by
applying a transmitter to the excitation port - one can only imagine
the fate of equipment connected to the detector port. This was very
simple to recover from (one resistor). The instrument is robust and
built like a Swiss precision watch. There are very few things that
could go wrong and only under physical duress (like dropping it down
three floors of stairs).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC