Old May 13th 04, 03:23 PM
m II

AbbN wrote:
Hi,

I've never heard of license for SW receivers. When I was young my parents
and most of my relatives had SW receivers - they were very popular then. In
the mid 60's I use to listen to my parents Zenith Trans Oceanic. You needed
a license for a CB way back then - perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

The guy claiming to have had his radio taken away has been trolling
here for a few weeks. He's also said he failed his Ham test because his
examiners thought he was'nt good looking enough.

The radio license fee in Canada was cancelled in the fifties, but don't
quote me on that as being an exact decade. England had it until '71.
The fee applied to ALL radio receivers. You paid a yearly fee. There
would be the odd government truck going around detecting unlicensed sets.

When commercial radio got a good foothold, the fees, that used to pay
for public broadcasting, were discontinued.

http://www.northernelectric.ca/radio...ot_warning.htm

The 10 shillings fee remained in force until the end of the World War
II. 1946 saw a doubling of the radio fee, and when black and white
television was first introduced, its fee was 2 pounds (double that of
radio). The license fee for radio was dropped in 1971 and today, only
the color television fee remains, rising periodically, for example from
46 pounds in 1981 to 85 pounds in 1995.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/L/...licensefee.htm