Old August 20th 03, 01:43 AM
Owen Duffy

Jerry wrote:
Is 450 ohm ladderline effective underground if enclosed in underground PVC
conduit? It would run from the outside of the shack underground to the base
of the antenna, and then run exposed to the feed point of the antenna.

One of the techniques for terminating a rhombic is to connect the
terminating resistor to the rhombic via a buried transmission line. The
loss on the buried line reduces the power requirements for the
terminating resistor.

Don't know that I would be burying the line to the antenna. If you use a
large enough conduit (dia greater than say 10 times the wire separation)
and the line is supported centrally, and you ensure that it will remain
dry, it might be acceptable - but somehow, I don't think that was what
you had in mind.

Owen

Thanks.

Jerry