Old May 14th 04, 05:38 PM
elg110254

Air Force brat who "served" two years in Tainan,Taiwan, which was considered a
"war zone" due to its proximity to mainland China, from July 1959 - July 1961.
Tainan had no base housing back then, so we lived amongst the populace. Our
"houseboy" Jong was head of the petticab drivers, & our "housegirl" Lee was
born on the mainland, so she had status within the community. Remember one of
the petticab drivers, taking an impressionable youngster home as evening
approached, informing him that he could go places his General couldn't. Plus,
we had a bad-ass german shepard who hated Chinese, except for Lee &
Jong,natch(they were family). Thus, we were the only service household not to
get ripped off. Listened to Armed Forces Network from Tokyo via a Metz stereo
console, which is now utilized in the den as a stereo speaker cabinet.